Bournemouth boss Scott Parker provides update on Zemura and Anthony’s long-term contract
As Bournemouth aim to secure long-term deals for Jordan Zemura and Jaidon Anthony, Scott Parker has insisted there “is no better place” for them.
The Cherries boss also said DorsetLive he had not personally discussed ‘in detail’ whether either retained a desire to commit their long-term future to the club.
“Not really,” Parker said Thursday. “I haven’t really gone into detail about it. Those conversations happened very early on. They ended exactly where I wanted them to. I spoke to both players. They understand and have no doubts about what I think of them.
READ MORE: Morgan Rogers is back at Manchester City but still on loan at Bournemouth
“Even though I didn’t speak to them, I think that was proven by the trust I placed in them, both of them playing football matches at this football club. It’s the first time they have had a back-to-back run of games. But certainly, those are key players and players that I would like to try and lock in on longer-term contracts. But we would like to do that at the right time.
Earlier this week, Zemura and Anthony had 12-month options exercised on their pre-existing contracts, the move, described by Parker, as offering “oxygen” to the players and the club.
The duo are yet to sign any new long-term deals on the South Coast, having started talks over a new contract at the start of the campaign. Both 22, Zemura and Anthony had a breakthrough season under Parker and continue to prove influential in the team’s success to this day.
The talks had been ongoing for several months and in October Parker revealed that he was keen to prevent negotiations from hampering their progress on the pitch.
As first reported by DorsetLive, the club have made concerted efforts to tie Zemura to a long-term deal before he leaves with his country for the rescheduled Africa Cup of Nations in January. However, negotiations proved slow, with Parker and the board keen to park talks until the end of the season after no immediate resolution was reached.
Bournemouth activating their option for a further year should provide security ahead of the summer transfer window, with a number of Premier League clubs believed to be monitoring Zemura’s availability.
“Both did extremely well,” Parker continued. “We’ve triggered their options and I’d like to think we’ll probably try to sit around the table at the right time, maybe at the end of the season. I’m glad we’ve triggered their options and like to think we can sit down at the right time to talk more about it.
“I think at the start of the season we talked or tried to discuss new contracts with these two boys. I was very, very aware and very vocal in my position that if something couldn’t be Actually, I just wanted to forget that because I didn’t want to disturb them or they lose focus.
“They are both young boys and still have a very long way to go in the game. I realize the distractions and the worries or what the contracts should or shouldn’t be. There could be some frustration in the negotiations I think that (the 12 month extension) probably gives both sides some breathing room.
“Like I said, we can sit down in the near future when the time is right and see if we can come up with something a bit more long-term. We’ll see.
“I would like to see them both have a long-term future here. I think it’s been shown this year the trust that I have placed in these two boys to give them their opportunities, to give them their chance. It finally got to them.
“They had to take the opportunity, and they both took it. I can’t think of a better place for both of them right now and I definitely see them as long term stays here with us.”
Contract extensions for Zemura and Anthony have been announced along with two other player renewals, both of whom have also come through the club’s academy system. Christian Saydee and Zeno Ibsen Rossi have signed new deals through June 2023 and June 2024, respectively.
Parker added: “I am delighted that we have extended the boys’ contracts. They have done very well for us. But I think the right decision has been made for them to try to gain experience on loan as well. in January.
“It was a club decision to extend their contracts and see how they come out of their loans. They are still very young in their years so I think the next stage of their careers and their loan spells will be key for them. . We’ll bring them back this summer and see where we’re at.”
Stay up to date on everything happening at The Vitality this season with DorsetLive’s FREE cherry newsletters – enter your email address at the top of the page or sign up for our newsletters here